Wednesday, February 2, 2011

But I Want to Play with All the Toys

When I was little and my sister would ask if she could wear my favorite shirt I used to tell her, "No, actually, I was planning on wearing that today." I never really was; I just didn't want to share.


Three-year-old Daphne sat happily amongst a pile of pretty toys; being the first at day care seemed to have some benefits. But within just a few minutes Eli arrived and wanted to play too. Daphne was surrounded by all the toys even though she was only playing with one doll. Eli crawled up to her hoard and pulled out a truck.
"Can I play with this?" He politely asked.
"No, actually, I was planning on playing with that right now." Daphne snatched it from his hand.
Eli sat back, slightly bewildered. He looked at the toy truck in Daphne's possession for a moment before scanning the pile behind her for a different toy to play with.
"Can I play with this?" He held up a Buzz Lightyear action figure.
"No, actually, I was planning on playing with that right now." Daphne dropped the truck away from Eli's reach and grabbed Buzz.
Eli crawled around Daphne to retrieve the truck. "Can I play with this now?"
"No, I'm still playing with it." Daphne flew Buzz into the side of the truck and shoved it out of Eli's reach again.
Eli's big, round eyes watched Daphne closely as she awkwardly tried to keep Buzz in one hand and the truck in the other, just so Eli couldn't play with either.
"Can I play with this?" Eli timidly held a My Little Pony.
"No, actually, I was planning on playing with that right now." Daphne reached for it with her hand holding Buzz Lightyear. She realized that she couldn't hold on to three toys at once, but that wasn't going to stop her. She dropped Buzz in her lap and grabbed the My Little Pony.
Eli watched Daphne with a sad look on his face. Soon another child was checked into the room, followed by another and another. Each kid ran up to Daphne's hoard and unceremoniously grabbed a toy without asking before running off to another corner of the room. They completely disregarded her protests, "No, actually -" "Hey, I was just -" "But I wanted to play with all the toys!"
Daphne's pile diminished as children continued to pour into the classroom. Big wet tears filled her eyes as she realized she no longer had a choice to share. Eli would probably even have played with her if she had shared with him, but now she looked to see him across the room tossing a ball with Charlotte. Daphne looked around her where just minutes before all the toys had crowded around in her presence; now just Buzz was left in her lap. Better Buzz than nothing; she hugged the toy closely accidentally pressing one of his buttons.
"Lightyear to Star Command!"

1 comment: