Sunday, July 3, 2011

Battle Log: Day 1,417

Battle Log: Day 1,417
Apathy is fighting against me. It's attacking strong, oozing over everything I touch. I watched two younger soldiers suffer from a strong infection of it today. One of them showed up for duty today soaked through with the fungus. The other gave a little resistance before falling under the pressure of her friend's overdose of apathy. I haven't given up hope on either of them yet. The first girl leaves a trail of apathy behind her every step, but I think she's still alive beneath the slime. The other one certainly shows more resistance on a regular basis. I've seen her get excited and even engage with the outside world on her own accord. She'll be a lot safer in the battle tonight, but none of us are out of danger.
Our enemy is strong and persistent. Apathy can come out of nowhere, and usually comes when we're most exhausted. Distraction has been wearing us down over the last several weeks, leaving a perfect opening for Apathy to move in and keep us out of action.
No one promised me that this would be easy - in fact when I had the opportunity to meet the Commanding General, He told me to pick up my cross if I wanted to follow Him - I still don't think I was prepared for this. The young ones I'm responsible for are so vulnerable, and I can't protect them. I'm fighting against Distraction so much myself that Apathy sneaks around and creates a stronghold on these babes. Distraction and I are old enemies, but only now do I see how dangerous this foe is. Previously Distraction only hurt me - now when Distraction gets me down, it prevents me from teaching others how to defend themselves against Apathy. Now these two have teamed up to disarm me and attack those in my charge.
So what's my plan? Well, when I was in the midst of the battle this morning I thought my primary enemy was Apathy. It seems clear to me now that I need a counterattack against Distraction in order to protect my troops against Apathy. To the war room...

1 comment: