Saturday, January 8, 2011

Home

I have no home; I'm the wind.
Home is where the heart is.
What other cliche sayings would you like to throw in?

I'm not fond of any of them because they're all too true. And disturbingly petty. You see, I have no house to call a home, but that doesn't make me homeless. It's petty, really, to think that I don't have a home. There are starving orphans in India who really know what it means to be without a home, but they have a joy that surpasses any roof over their heads. Why can't losing my home make my spirit soar to the skies without a roof to restrain it? Maybe in some ways it does.

My amazing friend Angela blessed me with a beautiful poem by Ruth Bell Graham that helped me to recognize my real home address.


My home address?
Christ.
In Him I dwell,
wherever else I be.
As Bird in the air,
as branch in the vine,
as tree in the soil,
as fish in the sea.
He is my home.
My business address?
Here.
Little piney cove,
or London,
Corinth,
Calcutta,
or Rome,
Shanghai,
or Paris.
My business address?
Wherever He puts me,
but He is my home.
Why then do I put so much faith in a place that isn't my home? I have been raised to believe that a specific location with my belongings inside would always be a safe place to come and cry. It just ain't so at this point in my life. I'm going through a lot of transitions and I don't really know where I'll end up in the future, but I know that wherever He puts me, he is my home. That faithfulness is unchanging despite my changing living situations. 
This house isn't mine, and this room with brown and green walls isn't my own. It's borrowed space, someone else's place. My place is between two outstretched arms scarred with love unmeasurable. There will always be room for me there. Safety, solitude, and sanctuary from my sorrow and strife.
However, also in this special place is a command for community. This space in my Savior's arms is all my own, and all my family's. It's meant to be shared with others, you see, and I can't keep myself from them. I'm supposed to share me. I've been given a voice, and although I sing to an audience of One, I sing to an audience of many of the One who has given me this voice. 
Here I go: test, one, two, three...

No comments:

Post a Comment