Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Room 42

Why Room 42? Well, this blog had to have some name, and that seemed as good as any.

Okay, so there's some significance. You see, Virginia Woolf told me in A Room of One's Own that a woman needs money and space in order to write. Actually, that's a gross reduction of what she says in that work, but she does place importance on having personal space to write and create. Well, I have yet to find a private place which I can call my own, but I have this cyber nook to call my own. For lack of a physical space, this becomes my creative space. I'll call it A Room of My Own.

Why 42 then? Well, it's the answer to life, the universe, and everything. According to Douglas Adams and Google at least. (I'm serious - google "the answer to life, the universe and everything." What did I tell you?) I don't claim to have the answers to life, the universe, and everything, but I am in pursuit of the One who does. I am in pursuit of truth, and one of the ways in which I pursue truth is through literature. (I love to read.) Part of literature is responding to the truth you find in it. Here are some of my written responses to life. As Annie Dillard may put it, the change to discoveries of nickels and dimes in life.

So that is where the title Room 42 comes from. I timidly invite you into my private place to respond with me to truth and life. I only ask that we respect the truth, and subsequently one another. You may not realize it, but in sharing my responses with you, I'm handing you a piece of my heart. Please be gentle with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment